Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Song of the Day

Today's song: 'Crying in the Chapel' by 'Don McLean' (Written by Arthur Glenn, made famous by Elvis, but I like this version better)

You saw me crying in the chapel
The tears I shed were tears of joy
I know the meaning of contentment
Now I am happy with the Lord

Just a plain and simple chapel
Where humble people go to pray
I pray the Lord that I'll grow stronger
As I live from day to day

Well I searched and I searched
But I couldn't find
No way on Earth
To find peace of mind

Now I'm happy in the chapel
Where people are of one accord
Yes we gather in the chapel
Just to sing and praise the Lord

Well you'll search and you'll search
But you'll never find
No way on Earth
To find peace of mind

Take your troubles to the chapel
Get down on your knees and pray
Take your troubles to a chapel
And you'll surely find a way




I love the gospel feel, and honest purity of Don McLean's version. He seems to really feel it.

As it says on Wikipedia -  "Crying in the Chapel" was a song written by Artie Glenn for his son Darrell to sing. Darrell recorded it, while still in high school, in 1953 along with Artie's band the Rhythm Riders. It became a local hit and publishers got hold of it and it went nationwide. That same year the black group, the Orioles, recorded it, and it became a major success.

On Oct. 30, 1960, Elvis Presley recorded a version of the song during the sessions for his RCA Records gospel album, His Hand in Mine. It was not included in that album, but rather was held back by RCA and finally released as an "Easter Special" single (447-0643) in April 1965, and hit #3 on the singles chart, the greatest chart success for Presley over a six-year span. It was later included as a bonus track on Presley's 1967 gospel album, How Great Thou Art.

The song was redone in the 1980's by Allies, a Christian band, on their 1989 album "Long Way From Paradise". While a little more contemporary, it still evokes the same feeling as the Elvis Presley version."

No comments: