Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Song of the Day

Well the whole point of this blog was to create a place where I could write about the song that grabbed my attention today, that I loved for one reason or another.

Today's song is David LaMotte's version of 'The Water Is Wide'.

Open D tuning:D A D F# A D

The water is wide, I can't cross o'er
And neither have I wings to fly
Build me a boat that can carry two
And both shall row, my love and I

There is a ship, she sails the sea
She's loaded deep, as deep can be
But not so deep as the love I'm in
I know not how I sink or swim

Oh love is handsome and love is fine
The sweetest flower when first it's new
But love grows old and waxes cold
And fades away like summer dew

Though I may speak with tongues of fire
And have the gift to all inspire
And have no love, my words are vain
As sounding brass, and hopeless gain

The water is wide, I can't cross o'er
And neither have I wings to fly
Build me a boat that can carry two
And both shall row, my love and I


I love this song, but because David is such a champ it just makes it even better.

Check out his website at www.davidlamotte.com

As David himself says
"...this is a true folk song, i.e one whose writers are wholly unknown. There is even debate in traditional folk circles as to which country gave birth. Some say it's a Robert Burns song. I've always loved it, though, partly because it has an emotional complexity rarely captured in song.
Another thing I love about it, though, is that though I've heard it performed by dozens of different artists, I don't think I've ever heard any two sing it with exactly the same lyrics.
I did my part for the folk process by adding in a verse from a hymn which shares the same tune, though I made my own adaptation there, too."

I love the way it flows, and desperately want Mr Peade to help me choreograph something to it for SoPA (the big performing arts show at my school) as it's my last year, and I don't think I could come up with anything worthy of the song by myself between now and then. So we'll see how that goes. 

No comments: